Tuesday 9 December 2014

"All I know is in retrospect.." Jamie looks back and discusses life at Yale - NUS

Jamie Buitelaar on Life at Yale - NUS



It's been - what, eleven months? - since I sent in my application, ten since I was accepted, and two since I moved in to college. 

Frankly, I have no idea how to respond to this information, now that it's laid out in front of me. All I know is in retrospect, the process seems incredibly short - applying, getting in, getting to know other admits, moving in, starting college life...this all seems to have happened over the course of about a week.

Now that I'm actually studying, there are other things to think about. How do you explain a parallax angle in a single, uncomplicated sentence? Should I sign up for ballroom or bhangra? What would Confucius' fanboy Xunzi say to Socrates if he came over for tea? 

And yes, that last one was actually a real assignment.

The readjustment has happened and while I am still in close contact with old friends, I am also having heaps of fun with the new environment I'm in. 

As someone who applied to all of one university, I can't say whether I ultimately "chose" the right school out of my offers. What I do know is that I'm in the right place - or, at least, the place that seemed like home three weeks in. 

To close, let me be cheesy and thank, with utter sincerity, the East UAC, because I would NEVER have gotten here without them. To the teachers who wrote my recommendations - woah, you guys must've really worked some word-magic. Either way, thank you so much, to UWCSEA, for not only supporting me while I was on campus, but helping ensure I was taken care of afterwards as well. 


I'm out of cheese - see you guys later! For those of you starting the applications process (early action/decision people, hats off to you), best of luck, and please don't worry - the other side is 100% worth it.




No comments:

Post a Comment