Tuesday 28 May 2013

Second Guest Blogger: Thinking About University

Here our second guest blogger, Jamie Buitelaar (Grade 11), shares her journey:


At the start of 11th grade, I was quite scared about universities. The only thing I knew was that I didn't know anything, and I didn't want to major in anything "professional" - ie. law, engineering, etc. I had one - and only one - university in mind and I thought applications were ages away.


Right now, they're closer than ever. It's crunch time, and I have to admit, I'm a little bit scared. 
Despite all that, though, I'm looking forward to 12th grade and university applications. Throughout the year, I've been researching some universities and struggling with the decision whether or not to apply to the U.S. I realized just how important it is to consider where I'll be living and the kind of community I'll be in. 

Also, about universities themselves - who knew the U.S and the U.K were so different! And then there's smaller vs. larger classes, liberal arts vs. professional degrees and even on-campus or off-campus living! Some of these decisions are easy to make, others require some thought - mainly because I hadn't given them much thought before - but all are important.

Another thing I learned is just how much there is in a university application - references, grades, personal reflections, resumes…they are MASSIVE! But I'm glad to know about it so I can be prepared for the process of applying. 

Heading into grade 12, I'm mentally preparing myself for the guaranteed insanity that will come with applications. I'm worried, but more than that, I'm excited, because I'll have a chance to actually show off what I've done in my high school career. During an average school day, the thought "what have I really achieved so far" doesn't tend to come to my mind very often. Through these applications, though, I'm not only trying to make myself look good for a university, I'll also be giving myself a major confidence booster. 

I know I'll end up in a university where I can have a great time while studying what I love. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment